The Leek & Manifold Valley Light Railway was a 2ft 6inch gauge line that ran from Waterhouses to Hulme End in Staffordshire and opened in 1904. Although a private concern, it was originally operated by the North Staffordshire Railway but in 1923 came under the control of the LMS Railway. It closed to traffic in 1934. The railway had two large 2-6-4 tank locomotives built by Kitson & Co. of Leeds in 1904. Numbered 1 and 2, and bearing the names E. R. Calthrop and J. B. Earle, they were both scrapped shortly after the line closed though some of the impressive name plates still survive. This is a large locomotive and is not suitable for small railways with tight curves. It will require a minimum of 3’ (900mm) radius to operate effectively.
Technical specifications for ‘Leek & Manifold’.
- Internal gas firing using our ‘FG’ type burner.
- Outside framed 2-6-4 chassis with two double acting slide valve cylinders operated by simplified Walschaerts type valve gear.
- Water top-up system and water gauge.
- Controls fitted as standard are :- steam regulator, safety valve, pressure gauge, displacement lubricator, gas regulator and reversing gear.
- Glazed cab windows.
- Dimensions (loading gauge) are, Length 430mm over buffer beams, Width 120mm, Height 155mm.
- Weight 5 Kg. (with Radio Control fitted).
- Full radio control is available for both regulator and reversing valve gear using 2.4GHz R/C.
- A gauge conversion kit is available separately to allow changing between 32mm and 45mm gauge. Please state gauge when ordering.
- Fitted with insulated wheels as standard.
- Supplied with etched brass plates for both E.R.Calthrop and J.B.Earle.
- Available in any standard ROUNDHOUSE colour.